Friday, September 11, 2009

Sunsets Are Sometimes Even Sweeter Than They Look

A beautiful sunset is almost always something to behold, with the most glorious aspect of a sunset being that no two are quite exactly alike. They may have similar features - the same variety of ripple in the clouds highlighted by the sun's final rays of the day, or the same shade of orange or pink that coats the underside of the cloud formation. But just like the snowflake and the human fingerprint, each presents itself as a picture of uniqueness. And each is perfectly complete in its natural, artistic beauty.

Last night's sunset, although not any more beautiful than scores of others that I've had the pleasure of witnessing over the years, was special. My day didn't start off on a very 'up' note, and in fact, it went further downward from there. My mood wavered throughout the day from glum to frustrated to sad to angry, to an ultimate feeling of emptiness. My Facebook Link and Status postings of the prior 24 hours mirrored the flutter of emotions taking place within me. Anyway, by the end of yesterday's workday, I was emotionally exhausted, and on the train ride home, I uncharacteristially fell asleep. Luckily, I was riding with some friends who were kind enough to prevent me from sleeping through my destination stop, an outcome that would have been a fit ending to an inglorious day.

Falling asleep on the train is usually a red flag for me, telling me that it's time I had better wake up, hit the reset button, and get a fresh start. I had this thought in mind as I deboarded the train, traipsed from the platform to my car, and began what I thought would be a neverending 6-mile drive home. But as I made my turn westward about 4 miles from my apartment, I was greeted with this simple, yet amazing sunset. And as I said, it was no more special than any sunset that I had ever seen before, except in one sense: It was perfectly placed at the tail end of an emotional day, and it immediately lifted my mood to one of great peace and tranquility. It was the unwitting remedy to what ailed me.

Sometimes, a beautiful sunset is more than just that, but only if we have the consciousness to see it for what it is...........

3 comments:

Deb said...

It's the simple things that sort of heal us through an emotionally draining day. Odd as this sounds, I remember quite a few times where I was very depressed and have seen rainbows appear, showing me (with my beliefs) which are God's promises. It comforted me and gave me a sense of hope.

I hope your sunrise was uplifting and hopefully, you rested well last night. Don't let this rainy day get you down either...!

TeeJay said...

Yes Deb, the simple beauty is usually the best kind. And it's amazing how many times it shows itself to you as a form of healing. This is what makes life so very special.

A Plain Observer said...

TJ, the sunset at the end of a bad day is a reminder to let things resume their natural beauty - I sound poetic, don't I? ha!

Seriously, reading it reminded me of a time when I (and it is all about me, you know) was at the end of my rope in fear and as I was praying I saw a rainbow appeared. I took it as a message, I KNOW it was a message from above.